simple bologneseJune 22, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Posted in Ingredients, My meal, My thoughts, Recipe | Comments Off
Tags: Bolognaise, Bolognese, Mince, Pasta, Spaghetti
After cooking a simple Bolognese for dinner last night and hubstar saying, and I quote “you cook the best Bolognese” I realised I should share my Bolognese top tips! So here they are…
- Dry fry the mince on a low heat to release all natural juices.
- Add the onions to the mince (note no extra frying oil is needed), when onions are soft add a sneaky beef stock cube or two! – now make sure you have a little taste as I think this tastes delicious by itself!
- Next add the peppers, mushrooms etc
- Mix in a tin of tomatoes, rinsing the can out with a good splash of red wine and adding, stir until it starts to bubble.
- Add some tomato puree, cover and leave to simmer for about 40 minutes (this is the important part I think) so the flavours blend and sauce thickens, remove lid for last 5-10 minutes if consistency is still too thin
Optional extras to taste: chilli, soy sauce or Worcester sauce, lemon juice, garlic – oh and if you have any left-over baked beans chuck them in too!
We’re not spaghetti fans so we always have pasta with our Bolognese, regardless of which you choose and when you cook pasta, after draining mix with a little butter and pepper you won’t believe the difference!